Traditional metal braces are the most common orthodontic appliances worn by children, so can they have Invisalign? Continue reading to find out.
Children can have Invisalign. In fact, there are specially designed Invisalign appliances, such as Invisalign Teen. As long as children are at the correct level of dental maturity Invisalign can be used as an alternative to fixed braces.
What are the benefits of Invisalign?
There are many benefits that come from having Invisalign as a teenager, which include:
- They can be worn for sports and playing musical instruments without any interference,
- There is no inference with diet as the aligners will be removed for eating so the patient can eat what they like,
- As Invisalign is removable there is also the benefit of not having any restriction with oral care,
- There is nothing permanently on the tooth which will restrict the way in which the tooth can be cleaned, leaving the patient with better oral health during treatment if brushing and flossing are carried out 3 times daily as required.
- Invisalign is almost invisible and is very hard to spot with an untrained eye, which means that children can get their teeth straightened without it being obvious they are having orthodontic treatment. This is really good for teenagers that are self-conscious.
Invisalign has created a new tracking system within their aligners called a compliance indicator. These are little blue dots that will show the level of wear of that aligner and if the patient has worn it to the required prescription. This allows us to track that each aligner has been worn enough before moving on to the next.
Invisalign is becoming more and more popular with adults and children. The convenience and versatility are what is driving its popularity. To find out more or book a consultation with one of our Orthodontists, give us a call on 0161 768 0931.